Friday, August 8, 2008

Three Weeks Old Today!*


* Alternate title for this post: "The Post that Took All Day to Write"


Well, Michael Jr. is three weeks old today, and to commemorate this landmark, he's been keeping Mommy going all day long. It's funny, I noticed from the earliest part of this morning, Michael has seemed to want to spend every bit of this day not sleeping.


In fact, I couldn't help but noticed that Michael made sure he was awake for the very minute of his third week birthday: 4:53 am.


Since that time (barring a nice little nap he let Mommy get until 7:30 am), he's been a little bit on the moody side today, which means that every time I got myself situated with pictures and the like to write this post, he needed my attention. At times, desperately it would seem.


But, despite having a day that wasn't quite as peaceful as yesterday, but not quite as moody as the day before, I have to say, three weeks out of the starting gate, the Barbers are still doing extremely well.


Michael Jr. and I were discussing today all the things he has accomplished: he's learned to eat, he knows his Mommy and Daddy very well, he knows his grandparents and all his aunts, uncles and cousins...and he's met a good handful of people. He's had a VERY busy three weeks!


He has also learned to sleep in his crib!! BIG ACCOMPLISHMENT!


He's gotten several baths, gotten his nails trimmed (a task I would be happy to not have to do again...but alas, comes with the territory!), and dirtied countless diapers. It's hard work being a baby!


But Michael Jr. has continued to bring joy and love in abundance into our home. From the quiet morning feedings, where even though I'm tired, I still take joy in looking down on this little boy who looks to me for his sole source of sustenance. Who, even though he has particular demands, is communicating, in the only way he knows how that he needs something, and he knows Mommy and Daddy are there to provide for his needs.


It's adorable how Michael Jr loves to be danced to sleep by Daddy who can quiet him down in a snap of the finger, and it's amazing how watching Michael Sr. dance him to sleep just makes my heart overflow with love for both of them.


It has been a busy three weeks, but it has been great! Happy three week birthday, Baby Michael! We love you more and more each day!

1 comment:

Aunt Tracee said...

Happy three weeks birthday, Baby Michael!! Wow, it is something all the things that little boy has been through in the last three weeks and a lot of things you have been through too along with him!

I'm so proud of both you and Michael (Big Michael). You guys are doing a great job being new parents. It's fun to watch you guys at work. :-) I miss all of you. ♥