I have typically been a pretty on-the-move type of person. Though I have been known to like a nice relaxing day at home, there are very few days in the past few years that I just stay in all day and don't go out and do something.
Now with a baby, I find myself GRATEFUL when I don't have errands to run. It's not because I like sitting in the house watching daytime soap operas all day and am finally grateful for the excuse to do so...that's not even close to what I do all day....but I have just become a little intimidated by bringing a baby around the town.
I guess, in my mind, a baby crying is a big crisis, when in reality, it's not that big of a deal. Michael is a very easy baby in the sense that he really only cries when he is hungry, or when he just wants to be in someone's arms and bounced around a little bit. Certainly, two things I can easily solve pretty much anywhere. Even if I need to just go to my car and nurse him so I can have a little privacy, that is actually a pretty easy thing to do.
I just build it up in my head to be much much worse than it really is. So in the past few days, I have been getting a bit braver. I went to Costco on Friday to get my tires rotated and filled with air, a trip that started off well because little Michael wasn't too upset and we got done with a good deal of ease...but ended up being a whole day event because they forgot to put the valve on or close it or something, and the tire was flat about an hour later...which meant, you guessed it, another trip to Costco to wait for another hour while they fixed the tires again.
But, you know, even that time it worked out very well and little Michael was pretty content the whole time.
Today, I ventured to the grocery store for the first time, and as much as I have been delaying it for weeks and weeks, I finally did it and it went really well!
I knew I couldn't leave Michael in the car seat while I shopped, because unless he is in a pretty deep sleep, I just don't think there would be enough motion with the cart to keep him content in there. He would wake up and want to be held.
So I used the little Baby Bjorn carrier, strapped him in, and he was pretty happy almost the whole time. He got a little whiny towards the end, but there were no explosive cries and no major crises. So I got grocery shopping done for the first time since he's been born. I'm getting better at this!
So, anyway, I am starting to realize that I can't put my whole life, all my errands and everything on hold. And, most importantly, I am starting to realize that little Michael will be OK with me carrying on and taking care of things that need to be taken care of.
Here's to getting braver and more adventurous so I can lead Michael on more adventures and fun sights in life!
2 comments:
Way to go Kim and baby Michael!
That actually is a big deal!!
I am so proud of both of you.
Good job, Kim and Baby Michael! I'm glad that you are able to juggle a little baby and your everyday errands. :-) One would think that you're a veteran mom. ♥
Post a Comment