Last week was a little crazy in the Barber home...
Between the Michaels still recovering from their sickness, and of course Michael's dissertation which he turned in on Friday (!!), little Matthew was suffering from acid reflux which meant we were not getting much sleep at all.
Basically, when he would sleep, it would be for 40 minutes, followed by an hour and a half of working to get him back to sleep, for only another 40 minute stint. I think all in all, the average amount of sleep per 24 hour period was about 2 hours. That went on for about 5 days. We were all zombies around here.
Poor Matthew was uncomfortable and wasn't keeping all of his food down so his tummy would get hungry faster. Of course, when he kept waking up, I confess the first emotion I felt wasn't pity, but just a tinge of frustration (why are you awake again?!), but when we went to the doctor on Thursday to see what could be done, he gave him some medicine to settle his tummy, and that night he slept exceedingly well. Then I felt bad for feeling frustrated at all and am just glad he is feeling better and back to himself again.
So we are back to sorts again here at the Barber house. Matthew, though still doing his newborn thing and wakes up at night, is sleeping much better and I am only up a couple of times to feed him.
I just can't tell you what a relief it was that first night we got the medicine. Just one night of better sleep after so many nights of horrible sleep felt so good! I was able to be more patient with Baby Michael and just felt more put together. Prior to that, I was so tired, I didn't even remember how to get to the doctor's office, a place I had been dozens of times before!
Here's hoping to continued good night's rest for everyone!
2 comments:
I'm SO happy you got to the bottom of Matthew's sleep troubles!
I really hope all of you get some quality rest and relaxation in the coming weeks. I can't believe how much stress you must have all been under with the flus, dissertation, baby reflux, etc. You are an incredibly strong woman!
I'm glad that Matthew is feeling better and that you can sleep a little too. :)
Post a Comment